Nichols is a US Marshal who is in charge of the WitSec program. It does appear that he and Art Mullen have a history together from their chat in Art's office.
Nichols only appearance is the episode ("Cut Ties"). Nichols visits his old friend and fellow US Marshal Art Mullen. The two have a chat and begin to catch up before Nichols leaves to go to one of his WitSec protectee's house, Mary Archer. It is revealed that she is in the WitSec program to be protected from a man named Carlos Salazar (it is not known what she did.) Nichols tells her that it gets easier once she testifies, because it will not be hanging over her. Once Nichols leaves her house, Vondas begins to follow Bill to a nearby store. Vondas begins to play a smart phone game while he waits for Nichols, who suddenly shows up at the drivers window. "You better have one helluva story," Bill says. Vondas acts glad to see Nichols then tells him to walk around to the back of his SUV because he has something to show him. Vondas then shoots Nichols in the leg, saying "sorry Bill, but you know how it is."
It is later revealed that Nichols body had been found outside of town, with two bullet wounds to the legs, as well as a shot to the head. Goodall concludes that Nichols was tortured into giving up information about the whereabouts of his clients before being killed
- Art Mullen: US Marshal, Investigator in murder case
- Raylan Givens: US Marshal, Investigator in murder case
- Tim Gutterson: US Marshal, Investigator in murder case
- Rachel Brooks: US Marshal, Investigator in murder case
- Karen Goodall: Assistant Director, Investigator in murder case
- Walter Vondas aka Terry Powe : WitSec protectee, murderer
- Mary Archer: WitSec protectee
- Harold Simmons: WitSec protectee
|Season three appearances|
|The Gunfighter||Cut Ties||Harlan Roulette||The Devil You Know||Thick as Mud|
|When the Guns Come Out||The Man Behind The Curtain||Watching the Detectives||Loose Ends||Guy Walks Into a Bar|